36 Books for 2014
“Not all readers are leaders,
but all leaders are readers.”
~ Harry S. Truman
I’ve been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. Truly, some of my earliest childhood memories are of turning the pages to simple books as a preschooler. I remember not only being captivated by the story, but by the understanding that I could do it myself. I could comprehend the words, I could learn, I had accomplished something.
Over the last few years, I’ve found it harder and harder to find fiction I enjoy. I simply cannot stand to read novels full of foul language, no matter how captivating the story line. I get bored with almost any fiction that isn’t a mystery. Non-fiction draws me in the way most people are enveloped by a romantic story set in a distant land.
I want to read of real people who overcome the obstacles we imagine to be unbeatable. I want to know better ways to study God’s Word. I want to know the strategies others have used to run successful businesses.
There is a point where I can just keep taking all that information in though, with no implementation. The year I read 100 books, I felt some of that impact. I’d read countless great ideas but hardly implemented them. Last year, I scaled my reading list back to focus on implementation, but found many of the books were not helpful to my stage of life.
So for 2014, I’ve tried to swing the pendulum back a bit to a happy medium. I’ve actually increased my reading goal from last year but included several fiction items to help balance the list. Several have been recommended, many are already sitting in my home or Kindle account, and a few I will be re-reading.
If you would like to create a custom reading list of your own, I highly recommend using Crystal’s free printable. Fill it in and print it out, or simply print a blank copy and track the ones you actually read.
- The Mary Kay Way
- Rhinoceros Success
- Made to Crave
- Miracles Happen
- You’re Made for a God Sized Dream
- Love Does
- You Can Have It All
- How Full Is Your Bucket
- For Better or For Work
- Living a Rich Life
- Start: Punch Fear in the Face
- 48 Days to the Work You Love
- Make Your Dreams Come True
- The Apartment
- 101 Great American Poems
- The Bible In 90 Days (First 1/3 of the Books)
- If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat
- The Bible in 90 Days (Second 2/3 of the Books)
- The Book Thief
- Called to Lead
- The Bible in 90 Days (Final 1/3 of the Books)
- Fantastic Voyage
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Common Sense
- When Godly People Do Ungodly Things
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess
- Twelve Extraordinary Women
- Ordinary Men, Extraordinary Lives
- Safely Home
- The Go-Getter
- A Christmas Carol
- The Monk and the Merchant
- Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just Isn’t Enough
What are you most looking forward to reading this year?